background

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Don't You Forget About Me

Don't you forget about me...a sentence that sums up a fear many of us fear. What are we leaving behind? What will we be remembered as? Will we leave an impression? So many questions with so few answers. Every time I hear the song "Don't You Forget About Me" I wonder what am I leaving behind to be remembered by. I fear I am leaving nothing, that I am nothing, leaving no one to remember my time on this earth. "Don't You Forget About Me" will never be forgotten or the cult classic movie it is associated with, The Breakfast Club. The ending of that movie is forever engraved in my mind with Judd Nelson shoving his fist into the air and that song playing in the background as all of the breakfast club voice over the letter they wrote
That letter states a scary truth how people view others in the most simplest of terms the most basic definitions, which becomes true even after your gone. Your whole life becomes boiled down to one definition of who you are and how people remember you. Whether we mean to or not we label people and see them as one type of person. People who leave a legacy are viewed under one term. When you think of someone famous anyone dead or alive think of that definition you associate with them. You probably have only one or maybe two things you think of. Now go research that person, really research them not just a quick skim of Google. You'll probably find there is a lot more to that person than the one or two terms you think of them as. That's what the breakfast club tries to teach us that we have all types of emotions, apsects, talents inside of us but at the end of the day and at the end of our lives people tend to remember only one or if we are lucky two things about us, which makes you wonder what are people remembering?

My greatest fear is that I won't be remembered, that I will never achieve that icon fist in the air moment. I want to engrave myself on this world and leave an image of me that people will remember. How do I create that image? How do I shape it to be what I want? How do I know i'm leaving the right one image of myself? I worry about that with every decision I make. I wish I could be remembered as everything I am but I know that's not the case. As more time keeps passing and the older I get I fear people have already created a view of me I cannot escape. What if I have missed my chance?  You only have one shot at that one side of you that people will forever remember. I want to make sure it has the good feelings and the lasting power like Judd Nelson's Iconic moment. I want to be remembered for my heart and talent and not the confusion I feel now.

We all want to be remembered, to leave a lasting impression on this earth. We all wish that people would remember everything about us but sadly that's not the case. People never remember the complex but they do remember the simple definitions they create for themselves. What image are you leaving behind? are you shaping it in to what you want? all we have is the one chance and once people have the image of you shaped their is no changing it. start now before it's to late, don't let yourself be forgotten or worse remembered as something you are not. If the breakfast Club and it's ending taught me anything it is we all have the chance to be remembered but you have to choose how you want to be remembered and make it happen for yourself. you can achieve this:
I will achieve this. I will have my moment with my fist in my air that all will remember. 
You won't forget about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment